The African Vegetarian Series: Eggplant with Okra
By Nourishing Africa
Image Credit: Beyond Mere Sustenance
- 2 big tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- ¼ kg okra
- 8 tbs cooking oil
- ½ kg African eggplant
- 2 cups of water
- 2 eggs
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel, and chop the tomatoes finely.
- Wash and chop the onions.
- Wash, peel, and cut the carrots lengthwise.
- Wash okra and cut off the end tips.
- Fry the onions lightly in oil. Add tomatoes and salt; stir until soft.
- Add African eggplant, okra, and carrots. Stir well.
- Add water, cover the pan for 10-15 minutes, and simmer until the vegetables are soft.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy, then add to vegetables while stirring slowly for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste. Serve hot.
Recipe created by AVRDC – The World Vegetable Center, Regional Center for Africa